Over the course of several conversations today, I thought I needed to give a full rundown of why I even got married in the first place, and why I got divorced. Apparently, some people are under the impression that this whole thing is my own fault? I’m not sure. It’s confusing.
1. I got married because I was wildly in love. Yes. I loved my ex husband, and a part of me still does. We had a lot of fun times together, and for the most part, our marriage was good.
2. I got married because holy cow, being an adult is freaking scary, and boy, wouldn’t it be nice to have someone else to “lead” and figure this out for me?
3. I got married because I want babies. Five babies, to be exact. All girls.
4. I got married because this was the first Christian guy to ever be interested in me, and I really shouldn’t pass that up.
5. I got married because he said he wouldn’t hurt me again, and I believed him.
6. I got married because I thought my parents liked him, and I thought they would be proud of me for marrying someone who was a Christian.
We had only been together a year by the time we got married. I remember lots of people asking, “Are you sure?” Of course I was sure. I loved him, so I married him. Because that’s what you do when you love someone.